Moderator: Moderators

<<

UseLess

Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post Mon May 24, 2010 8:17 pm

F.A.O. Xanta

Greetings,

On your site you had a link to a program you used to allow you to develope on the go... I went there just now and the site is gone. Any chance you still have a link to the site so I can grab the software you used?
Movie Quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage...
phpBB 3 Mods @ phpBBStyles
<<

Xanta

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: F.A.O. Xanta

I think you mean Portable Apps I have been using it for years and would highly reccomend it. The programs I use are:

Firefox - browser.
Notepad++ - file edits
FileZilla - file uploads.
XAMPP - So I can test things work.
Keepass - So I don't have to type passwords in, you never know if a computer is infected!

They all install on a standard usb fob. You will need to install the menu first then just download and install each application. The menu autoruns when you plug it in and gives you quick access to each program.

The one thing I will say is that some of them, like firefox, need quite a fast drive or you will experience some lag. I use the corsair flash voyager gt it runs like a charm on that, plus the size means I can also use it as a backup for files and programs.
<<

UseLess

Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post Wed May 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Greetings,

Yep that was it... got it now and installe on to a 4Gb stick just grabbed XAMPP an will install that and have a play.

One thing I did notice is that it doesn't autorun the menu it just opens an explorer window.
Movie Quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage...
phpBB 3 Mods @ phpBBStyles
<<

Xanta

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed May 26, 2010 11:19 pm

For me it opens the standard windows dialogue box asking if I want to autorun, open a folder etc.

Make sure you read the notes on the XAMPP download page, the one on portable apps site, there is a trick to getting it to work in the menu.

A Quote:
Menu Integration: XAMPP isn't in PortableApps.com Format, but it easily integrates with the PortableApps.com Suite by using the XAMPP Launcher 1.3 and installing XAMPP in the root directory of your portable device (as recommended). You can open the self-extracting archive with 7-Zip Portable or download the larger ZIP archive.

Return to Discussion